- Normally first harvest can be done after 90 days of planting and can be fed to cows and buffaloes
- It has other uses aside from fresh feed for farm animals.
- If there is excess harvest because there are not enough animals to eat the newly cut grass, the same could be shredded and made into silage.
- 75 days old Super Napier plants can be fed to chickens, ducks, horses and rabbits
- The Super Grass is very palatable because the stalks are tender
- It has a wide range of adaptability so that many farmers can benefit from it.
- Harvesting is done at intervals of 60 to 70 days.
- Super Napier grass will become robust, tufted and has a vigorous root system, developing from nodes of its creeping stolons.
- Super Napier by this time would have grown up to 4 m to 7 m in height.
- Weeding has to be done in the Super Napier Farm as weeds rob your plants of the benefits of the fertilizer you apply.
- Hence after 30 days, weeding has to be done for the plants.
- 2 tons of organic fertilizer is recommended per acre or apply four bags of 14-14-14 fertilizer.
- 20 days after planting, apply cattle compost manure close to the stems
- Plow the land deep enough for the plant roots to penetration deep into the ground that make the plant drought resistant.
- After fertilizing the farm, the plants has to be irrigate well
- Watering should be done on the third day.
- Irrigation should be done every 7 days depending on type of the soil
- Wastewater from the cattle shed can also be used for irrigation and is best source of manure.
- Super Napier grows well in all types of water.
The furrows are made 3 feets apart.
Always irrigate when necessary.
They have high leaf stem rate
Super Napier can be harvested eight times a year
- Firstly plow the land deep enough for the plant roots to penetrate deep into the ground making it drought resistant.
- For the Super Napier grass, fertilization should be done when the new leaves emerge.
- That is after 20 days of planting the stems, we can give fertilizer to our plants.
- The best method for obtaining maximum yields from the Super Napier is to broadcast the fertilizer all over the surface of the soil but closer to the stems.
- Broadcasting is the easy means to apply the fertilizer. Also it helps in uniform fertilizer distribution to all the plants.
- Cattle Manure is the best fertilizer for the Super Napier Grass or any other organic manure rich in NPK can be used as well.
- Nitrogen in the manure causes leaf growth and the formation of stems and branches.
- Phosphorus promotes the development of healthy roots.
- Potash helps the plant to maintain good growth and protects against the pest, disease damage.
- We recommend 2 tons of organic fertilizer per acre or apply four bags of 14-14-14 fertilizer.
- After completing the fertilization, irrigate the Super Napier plants thoroughly.
- Continue to feed every 2 to 4 months during the growing season so that maximum yield can be achieved from the Super Napier.
Besides yield, Super Napier has crude protein ranging from 17 to 18 percent. It is very palatable because the stalks are tender. The leaves are smooth and hairless and animals love to eat them as its juice is sweetish.